06 September 2016

Trailer Tuesday--Manchester by the Sea


I'll watch Casey Affleck in anything. He is truly one of the most underused and under-discussed leading actors in American cinema. His small output finds him in roles that are anything but small. He stole the show from Brad Pitt as the latter title character in 2007's neo-Western masterpiece The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and became a true leading man that same year in his brother Ben's crime drama Gone Baby Gone.



He tends to gravitate to quieter, more thoughtful roles. I love that about him, and his role here (and all its praise so far) looks like a sure-fire Oscar nomination. Lonergan (a director known for his own small output) has a track record of getting the best out of actors (see: Mark Ruffalo and Laura Linney in You Can Count On Me).


I'm so in for this one, easily one of my most anticipated of the coming Fall/Winter Oscar hopefuls. 

The trailer is great, giving us a nice feel for the film's tones and rhythms. I am specifically drawn to those great Massachussetts accents and the presence of Michelle Williams and what I believe will be a perfect chemistry with Affleck.



Enjoy!






Yes? No? Whatta ya think? 

7 comments:

  1. I haven't seen much of Casey Affleck at all, but I've enjoyed what little I have seen! I'm really looking forward to Manchester by the Sea, too :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The younger Affleck is a better actor than his brother. A certainty!

      Delete
  2. This looks PERFECT! It looks like everything I want in a movie...and Michelle Williams...SLAY ME, she's coming for that Oscar. Early word is her big scene is the stuff Oscars are made fore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The scene where Williams and Affleck are both in tears. I'm gonna fucking lose it, bro. This movie WILL WIN acting Oscars. I have no doubt.

      Delete
  3. When I first saw the trailer, I absolutely loved it. I can't wait for it. It's one of my most anticipated films of the year, along with Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, La La Land, Loving, Snowden, American Pastoral, Sully, Moonlight, Lion, & Arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your list. I'm excited about all of those as well.

      Delete
  4. Another one I really want to see - and I too love Casey - I even watched him in Tower Heist. Looks to be a great film - great cast.

    ReplyDelete