01 January 2016

Top Ten Movies of 2015 (That I Saw in a Movie Theater)


Let's be clear. I have a good deal in place as far as getting to see new movies. I publish reviews in a newspaper that pays me in movie tickets and meals. I contribute to the brilliant pop culture site Pop Depravity, which hooks me up with a little scratch. For those opportunities, I count myself lucky. This has been a great year. But this is not my job. I have a full-time job outside of my writings on movies, so it's not always easy to see as many movies as I'd like in a given year.

Like most of us, it will be March (at least) before I see most of the biggest movies of 2015 (and I'll never get to all of the them, especially the small ones). I only saw 30 movies at a movie theater in 2015, but almost all of them were good.

As far as 2015 in Movies, in general, well, it has proven to be an odd one. Two of my favorites came way early in the year (It Follows, Ex Machina). Then, for a long while, it felt a little blah. Some biggies like Mad Max: Fury Road dropped over the summer. But I am in the minority on that one, only really liking it as opposed to going full-on worship. The holiday season bombardment really picked the year up nicely, though. (How I wish movie releases could be spread out. There is so much room, and I have so much time, in the summer.) Some disappointments this year, for me anyway. I have no idea how to feel about The Hateful Eight. And I was really looking forward to Joy but left feeling absolutely nothing.

It can't be denied that this was a big year for the ladies. I just watched two films with female leads, both absolutely lovely period pieces, set in the same year, that couldn't be more different in tone or style, Todd Haynes' Carol and John Crowley's Brooklyn. Of course, Charlize Thereon has been lauded for her show-stealing performance in Mad Max: Fury Road. And, when you look at my list, you'll notice more than half of these movies feature a strong female lead. It's good to find Hollywood taking note of the disparity so many have spoken out against in recent years.

What follows is my ranked Top Ten of 2015...as of right now. Click on the posters to link to full reviews. 


10


9


8


7


6


5


4


3


2


1



13 comments:

  1. When will there be a review for Brooklyn? I can't wait to say how much I loved that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen #s 2, 5, 7, and 9. Loved them all so I guess I'm batting 1.000. I'm seeing Brooklyn near the top of so many lists, I'm almost dreading the day when I will watch it, lol. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There really were some good ones in 2015, especially really late. Oh, Brooklyn is lovely, man. Give it a chance. Perfectly classic romance in a perfectly classic piece of filmmaking.

      Delete
  3. A lot of these are on my own personal top 10 list as well, and if not they're in my honorable mentions. I like seeing End of the Tour here. That was such a quiet little film, I was hoping Jason Segel would get in on the awards race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The End of the Tour was just a perfect little movie. Both performances were outstanding. And I'm a big Literature guy, so the subject was exactly for me. Jason Segel lost a lot of steam with the movie being released so long ago. I definitely think it's awards worthy.

      Delete
  4. Great post! I haven't seen most of these yet, but I liked It Follows and Inside Out, and I loved Ex Machina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you dug those. All wonderful for their respective genres.

      Delete
  5. UGH! I have so much to see still!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it!!! I have faith in you, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Glad to see Sicario on there!! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Loved Sicario. I'm still thinking about it all these months later. Need to pick up that Blu that just dropped.

      Delete
  7. Nice list! It Follows is one I really enjoyed, and would benefit from seeing again. It was so confidently made. Creepy as fuhhhk.

    ReplyDelete