05 June 2017

In Movie Lines (with Man-Mosas, the Stanley Cup in Nashville, Machine Gun Cruise...and Links)

What's In My Eyes and On My Mind
May 27 - June 3, 2017

In My Eyes

At the Theater

Maybe someday I'll venture out to a movie theater again. My last was Logan. Been too long. Still planning on getting to Alien: Covenant before it bounces.

On Home Video

Tom Cruise in Taps (1981)
For short reactions to the films below, please find me on Letterboxd by clicking the film titles in this section. Also, follow me on Instagram (@speaksmovie), where I post eye-opening screen caps for nearly every film I watch.

dir. Steven Spielberg, 2002
★★★ 1/2

Taps (FT)
dir. Harold Becker, 1981
★★

Epic post on Apocalypse Now...coming Wednesday.
dir. Frances Ford Coppola, 1979
★★★★★
*I have indeed seen the "Redux" version from 2001, so not a true First Timer.

The Town (FT)
dir. Ben Affleck, 2010
★★★

(FT) = First Time
(RW) = Re-Watch
All ratings out of ★★★★

On My Mind



Wonder Woman is pretty huge news, a successful superhero movie, critically and commercially, directed by a great female director in Patty Jenkins and a pretty fierce and straight-up pretty movie star in Gal Gadot. It seems this gamble paid off, but there sure were people who took issue with this Hollywood Report headline. It was all over my Twitter feed, and, unusual as it is, I don't agree that it warranted a barrage of but what about this male indie director and the MALE indie director and on and on...they didn't get big stories like this... Yeah. They probably did. And you didn't pay attention because, well, they were MALE directors, which are a dime a dozen at least in Hollywood. This deserves attention, even if you, like me, don't give a rat's ass about superhero movies. 

Speaking of summer blockbuster superhero movies, here is the third try at Spider-Man, this time he's even younger-looking and with a hotter Aunt May. All that may be fine...but fucking spare me. I didn't even bother to watch the new trailers. And, yes, this is a stupid, stupid poster. Is this an Iron Man movie, a Spider-Man movie, or a Star Wars movie? And, Birdman? Are you lost? Why? Why, Michael? 

Wednesday was a fun day. This was the best the Twitterverse had to offer on "covfefe" as far as I'm concerned. Please watch American Movie immediately if you don't get this joke. 

Canadian singer-songwriter Andy Shauf is a genius. The album is a mellow ride into the past but rich with timeless characters, young partiers at the album's titular event. So chill. So dreamy. 

1.

2. 

3. 

Do yourself a favor. Get in a car, on a plane, bus, train, jetpack, whatever, and go to Nashville, Tennessee, where I just spend the week visiting old friends and making new ones, and...

1. Hit up Hattie B's for actual Nashville Hot Chicken (get the Tender Plate...HOT), accept no substitutes Hot Chicken is only in Nashville (and now Birmingham, Atlanta, and Memphis); 

2. Go to M.L. Rose Craft Beer and Burgers for brunch and order a Man-Mosa (Miller High Life and OJ), then for the 2nd part of your 2-for-1 drink special, go with the Bloody Nola (a Bloody Mary with house pickled veg); 

3. Be there when the Predators are playing for the Stanley Cup at home. It was fucking nuts!!!

The trailer for David Lowery's (Ain't Them Bodies Saints, Pete's Dragon) new film, A Ghost Story, absolutely blew me away. Such a beauty. Most anticipated at the moment. In theaters July 7. 

The trailer for Bong Joon-ho's latest film, an adventure about a South Korean girl trying to save her friend, a giant animal sought after by an array of other interests. Shades of E.T. perhaps, leaning more to the bizarre. The song used in the trailer has become my new favorite song, actually a familiar old favorite, The Mamas and the Papas 1967 cover of "Dedicated to the One I Love." Brilliant. On Netflix June 28th. 

Links

Dell is the opposite of me and really digs superhero movies. He's seen previous versions of Wonder Woman even. Hit up his reviews of the ones from 1974, 1975, and 2009.

Mettel Ray's Movie Alphabet Blogathon wrapped up this past week. Such fun. She also reviews Kong: Skull Island, which I hate I missed on the big screen. '

Zach at The Chatty Moviegoer displayed some choice shots from Malick's brilliant Days of Heaven, one of my all-time favorite films.

Sati at Cinematic Corner gets teased by the prospect of a movie called Logan...Logan Lucky, that is.

Sonia at A Film a Day reviewed John Wick: Chapter 2, which is another I hate I missed in the theater.

The Numbers

I have watched 63 movies in 2017, so far.  

Re-Watched - 25
First-Timers - 38
___________________

2017 Releases - 2 (pathetic)

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention! I feel exactly the same about the Spider-Man Homecoming poster. Wtf were they even thinking? I look at that stuff and I see an Iron-Man movie with Batman and some other people. I saw the trailer but I'm not that excited about the film. I don't think it's going to be as good as everyone's saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! And yeah. I just don't care at all.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link! Oh yeah, they tricked me :) You should go see Wonder Woman in cinema!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem! And, yeah, I probably will. For my girl, Gal.

      Delete
  3. Yay, Apocalypse Now! What a great film, that is. Can't believe I haven't seen Taps, though. The Spidey poster is terrible, but I am looking forward to the movie no surprise. I'm just happy Marvel is making it this time and not the idiots at Sony.

    I can't say I'll be in Nashville anytime soon, but I really appreciate the travel guide. Knowing where to get a good meal and good beer is always welcome information.

    Thanks for the links!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to read your thoughts on my Apocalypse Now post. It's up now.

      As for Taps.... I don't now, it didn't work that well for me. Seemed silly, even though it took itself so seriously. I like the Maguire Spider-Man movies. They hit at just the right time, and, for me, there isn't a better superhero movie (I am not calling Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy or Logan superhero movies) than Spider-Man 2. Then, I would go to the X-Men movies...all of them. I have not been able to latch onto any of the Marvel Universe movies...at all. Hell, I liked Suicide Squad better than any of the Captain America movies.

      I go to Nashville all the time (lived in that area myself for about 6 years). It is growing like crazy right now, man. So much good food and drink, especially outside the touristy Broadway mess.

      No problem!

      Delete
  4. Dude. You need to get to the movie theater soon. Here's the movies I've seen in theaters since the last time you went to the theater:

    Beauty & the Beast (excellent); The Room (one of the greatest theater experiences I've ever had. Also, I met the director/producer/writer/star of The Room, Tommy Wiseau, at the theater. It's the best worst movie ever); Life (good); The Zookeeper's Wife (great); Kong: Skull Island (awesome); Gifted (excellent); The Fate of the Furious (awesome); Free Fire (brilliant); The Circle (one of the worst movies I've ever seen); The Lost City of Z (amazing); Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (the best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe); The Lovers (excellent); Baywatch (hilarious); Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (good); & Wonder Woman (one of the best superhero films I've ever seen).

    Haven't seen any of the movies you listed on Letterboxd, but I just bought The Town on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray.

    I agree with you on the Wonder Woman thing.

    Spider-Man: Homecoming looks good. The poster? Definitely not.

    Covfefe was amazing. Also, I need to watch American Movie.

    Never listened to Andy Shauf, but you have made me interested in listening to his music.

    I'd love to go to Nashville. Hopefully, I'll go there soon. I hope the Predators win the Stanley Cup. Since I'm a huge Detroit Red Wings fan, I hate the Pittsburgh Penguins, & have hated them since 2009 after Sidney Crosby refused to shake any of the Red Wings players hands after the Penguins won in Game 7. Such a dick move by Crosby.

    A Ghost Story is one of my most anticipated of the year. My most anticipated films are: Denis Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049; Kathryn Bigelow's Detroit; Alexander Payne's Downsizing; David Lowery's A Ghost Story; Trey Edward Shults's It Comes at Night; Edgar Wright's Baby Driver; Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled; Paul Thomas Anderson's new film; Michael Showalter's The Big Sick; Todd Haynes's Wonderstruck; Destin Daniel Cretton's The Glass Castle; Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk; Martin McDonagh's Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; Darren Aronofsky's Mother!; Taylor Sheridan's Wind River; James Franco's The Disaster Artist; Stephen Chbosky's Wonder; Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris's Battle of the Sexes; Luca Guadagnino's Call Me by Your Name; Yorgos Lanthimos's The Killing of a Sacred Deer; Steven Soderbergh's Logan Lucky; Rian Johnson's Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Taika Waititi's Thor: Ragnarok; Zack Snyder's Justice League; & Steven Spielberg's new film.

    Okja looks interesting.

    The past week, besides seeing Baywatch, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, & Wonder Woman, I've watched a few films at home: Split (excellent); Shaun of the Dead (brilliant); & We Were Soldiers (amazing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a super busy spring man. Just zero time for movies. Your list of anticipated are all on my radar. Looks like we're in for a great late summer and fall. Please, Cameron, watch American Movie. Superb documentary about the passion of Indy filmmaking, and it's set up in Wisconsin, near your neck of the woods.

      I HATE SIDNEY CROSBY! Go Preds!

      Delete
    2. I just got American Movie in the mail the other day. I'll probably watch it soon, since school is about to let out for me this week.

      Delete
    3. Did you get to watch it?

      Delete
    4. Haven't got around to it yet. I plan on it soon.

      Delete
  5. I'm actually looking forward to Spiderman: Homecoming because I loved Holland's take on the character in Civil War, and I hated the last 3 Spidey outings. I hope this is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just haven't been able to get into any superhero movies in the last 10 years that don't have one of the X-Men or Batman in them. Tobey Maguire-4-eva!

      Delete