21 December 2016

Blind Spot 2017: Announcing My Selections

I didn't make it in 2016. I ended up one shy. November got me. Two personal tragedies (one at Halloween, one at Thanksgiving) ended up wrecking my Blind Spot 2016 goal. But I figure, if, after what I went through, I only missed one, well, that's a good year. Things are looking good for 2017...I hope.

I went an interesting route in making my Blind Spot selections this year. I've decided to use it to check a few things off the list. For 2017, I have selected mostly Best Picture winners from the 70s and 80s that I haven't seen. That will get me done with that list from 1970-present. Then, my favorite podcast, Filmspotting (it's great if you haven't listened to it), has this list called the Pantheon, which is a list of movies so good they are retired from the show's weekly top ten lists. I will complete that list as well.

Then, of course, a couple months of tribute to my late father. A few days after he died (now almost three weeks ago), my Mom told me that he "loved that movie Tess." She also mentioned the 1981 Best Picture winner, Chariots of Fire. My Mom can only remember the early 80s at this point, I think, but I figured why not start with these as blind spots. My Dad loved them. I've never seen them. Match made in Heaven.

Wish me luck! Here we go:

December 2016*

dir. Roman Polanski, 1979

January

dir. Franklin J. Schaffner, 1970

February

dir. Robert Benton, 1979

March

dir. Hugh Hudson, 1981

April

dir. Richard Attenborough, 1982

May

dir. Sydney Pollack, 1985

June

dir. Bernardo Bertolucci, 1987

July

dir. Martin Brest, 1988

August

dir. Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, 1948

September

Grave of the Fireflies
dir. Isao Takahata, 1988

October

dir. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946

November

dir. Jim Sheridan, 2002

December

dir. John McTiernan, 1988

* I listed December 2016 here because I've called an audible on last year's list in light of me wanting to honor my Dad.

The Blind Spot Series originated with Ryan McNeil over at The Matinee. Go there for more info! 

22 comments:

  1. The only ones I've seen are In America and Die Hard (YOU HAVEN'T SEEN DIE HARD?! lol) In America is so sad.

    BTW: I watched Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room a while ago. You were right, great doc! Should've won. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how I made it this far without Die Hard. It just never happened. My parents weren't much for action movies I think.

      So glad you caught up with that one. It is still my all-time favorite documentary.

      Delete
  2. Nice list of films. I haven't seen any of them, although I do own the Criterion Collection releases of The Red Shoes & The Last Emperor, along with Die Hard. I think I own In America, but I will have to look through my 1,500 DVD's & Blu-rays (no hyperbole) to see if I do have it.

    I really want to find the Criterion release of Notorious, but since it's out of print, I can't find it anywhere.

    Your September selection looks really interesting. I haven't watched any of those Japanese animated films (although I have heard My Neighbor Totoro & Spirited Away are amazing), but I really should, especially since I do have some Japanese family members.

    Overall, excellent list of films. Definitely need to watch those films soon. This list really makes me want to start a Blind Spot list for 2017. There's a lot of great films that I still need to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous of your collection. I just can't really bring myself to buy a lot of DVDs. I have to be choosy. September is a movie called Grave of the Fireflies. Supposed to be pretty sad but beautiful. I'm trying to get into the Studio Ghibli anime, but I haven't found one I've loved yet.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, a lot of my friends are jealous of my movie collection. I mean, a lot of them were from before I got into film, but since I've got into film, I've got a lot of movies. One of my friends has been trying to get me to count how many movies I have. I've tried to start, but I know that would take HOURS, so I just decided, "Screw this. I can't do this right now."

      I can totally understand not bringing yourself to buy a lot of DVDs. That's why I sold a lot of my old vintage video game systems to buy DVDs I really wanted, especially Criterion Collection DVDs & Blu-rays. Either that or I just buy them used at F.Y.E. for really cheap, or at this store called 2nd & Charles that sells DVDs & Blu-rays for really cheap as well.

      Delete
    3. I looked more into Grave of the Fireflies & it sounds really interesting.

      I can totally understand the fact that you haven't found a Studio Ghibli film you've loved yet. I'm not a fan of anime at all, although I have heard My Neighbor Totoro & Spirited Away are amazing.

      Delete
    4. Alright. I'm going to do it! I just have to figure out which films I should do for the Blind Spot, since there's so many great films that I haven't watched.

      Delete
    5. Cameron, I like to look at lists like Sight and Sound 250 or Roger Ebert's Great Movies list (those are great books if you haven't seen them). This year, I obviously focused mostly on BP Oscar winners I've put off.

      Delete
  3. With the exception of Notorious and Grave of the Fireflies as I haven't seen those 2 films. The rest I can recommend though I feel that Chariots of Fire and Gandhi are overrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always heard that about both of those movies. That's probably why I've put them off for so long.

      Delete
  4. Great list! I've seen all but the Takahata film.

    Tess is a beautiful looking film, since it's your first I'll wait until you've seen it to comment on it any further.

    I LOVE Notorious!! Definitely in my top 10 favorite Hitchcock films.

    The Red Shoes is another one that is a feast for the eyes, just glorious color and an intense story line.

    You'll have so much fun with Die Hard. Just a great kick-ass thrill ride with excellent performances.

    I'll be especially curious to see what you think of Chariots of Fire. Honestly I loathe it, it was my pick last year in Dell's Against the Crowd blogathon on the negative side but...the friend I saw it with in the theatre adored it. It's that kind of film so again I'll be anxious to see where you land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to dig into these. Looking forward to your comments.

      Delete
  5. You've made some fantastic picks! The Red Shoes, in particular, is an absolute technicolour treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Full disclosure - a lot of what you've gathered here are prestige pictures...the sort they don't really make any more. I certainly hope you enjoy them, but make sure when you sit down to watch selections like Chariots, Emperor, and Africa that you come armed with a bit of patience.

    They're worth it!

    Here's to more Blindspotting in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is probably the reason I've put them off. I'm in for a lot of very long runtimes here. I'm making it a goal to strengthen my attention span in 2017. Part of the reason for all the epic prestige pictures, as you so rightly put it. I'm really looking forward to the challenge this year!

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry to read about your sad news!
    Also, I feel like I can join in on the 'HOW HAVE YOU NOT SEEN DIE HARD' party, but only because I saw it fo the first time myself like, this time last week. It lived up to the hype for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. A red-blooded American man like me having never seen Die Hard. Shame, shame. Can't wait to see it a year from now! Lol.

      Delete
  8. I actually just saw Die Hard for the first time last year. It seems like you had to watch it growing up because I didn't completely understand the hype. Enjoy your picks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only seen Patton and Die Hard. To parrot Britt, YOU HAVEN'T SEEN DIE HARD?! lol. Looking forward to these. I need to add at least a few of them to my own watchlist. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete