23 October 2016

In Movie Lines: A Month of Movies

What I've Been Watching
September 18 - October 22, 2016

You may have noticed I've been intermittent at best as far as keeping up with this blog. That's just how it's gonna be for the time being. I'm a busy man, and I'm using my spare time to watch a lot of movies. The writing thing is only in small spurts on my Instagram (follow me @speaksmovie) and Letterboxd (link at end of post) accounts these days.

Let me assure you that I am trying to get back in a routine. I hope to be at least regularly doing these post with linkages to my favorite movie bloggers again next week. 

Anyway, here is the last month of my life...pretty much: 

Unrelated to Movies

Last game at Turner Field in Atlanta, a sad but true end of an era. 

Tennessee beats Florida at football for the first time in 11 years. I was there. It was awesome. 

My 32nd birthday, a friend made me these.

My 3rd wedding anniversary. My wife is really beautiful.

Movies

Forget Paris
dir. Billy Crystal, 1995


Bringing Out the Dead
dir. Martin Scorsese, 1999


The Magnificent Seven
dir. Antoine Fuqua, 2016


Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
dir. Stanley Kubrick, 1964


The Graduate
dir. Mike Nichols, 1967


Man from Plains
dir. Jonathan Demme, 2007


Slow West
dir. John Maclean, 2015


A Few Good Men
dir. Rob Reiner, 1992


Gone Girl
dir. David Fincher, 2014


True Grit
dir. Henry Hathaway, 1969


Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
dir. Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, 2016


Hello My Name is Doris
dir. Michael Showalter, 2016


Knight of Cups
dir. Terrence Malick, 2016


The Jungle Book
dir. Jon Favreau, 2016


Demolition
dir. Jean-Marc Valée, 2016


Amanda Knox
dir. Rod Blackhurst and Brian McGinn, 2016


Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
dir. Zack Snyder, 2016


Love & Friendship
dir. Whit Stillman, 2016


13TH
dir. Ava DuVernay, 2016


True Grit
dir. Joel and Ethan Coen, 2010


Happy Gilmore
dir. Dennis Dugan, 1996


Beauty and the Beast
dir. Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise, 1991


Last Year at Marienbad
dir. Alain Resnais, 1961


If you've made it this far and you want to know my thoughts/ratings of these, then hit up my Letterboxd Film Diary.

The Numbers

I've watched 163 movies this year, so far.

Re-Watched - 60

First-Timers - 103

2016 Releases - 25

I've also been watching this piece of weird cinematic brilliance on TV: 


What have you been watching? 

8 comments:

  1. Love True Grit...the original. Eisenberg sucked as Lex Luther. I thought Forget Paris was better than I thought it would be. Your wife is beautiful and the dessert looks great. happy belated birthday! I have watched quite a few films but can't remember all of them. I just watched The Brain that Wouldn't Die:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And The Brain that Wouldn't Die is an intriguing title.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy, you've seen some great movies lately!
    I'm only 2 episodes in to Westworld so far but it's looking like a good show! I just hope it doesn't get too confusing for my simple mind, ha!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went on a rampage, girl. lol. I find Westworld highly confusing, yet I can't stop watching it.

      Delete
  3. YEY Westworld! I am recaping each episode of the show on the Corner and I even started the first fanboard for it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely been reading those posts. Just commented on the latest one. Such a cool, weird show. Look forward to it every week.

      Delete
  4. Happy belated birthday & happy belated anniversary!

    That was a great game between Tennessee & Florida. I just wish you guys beat Alabama. I can't stand to see Alabama win.

    Now… for the movies I've seen in the past month.

    A month ago, I saw The Magnificent Seven. It was pretty good, although it did have some rough spots.

    A week later, I saw Deepwater Horizon. It was also pretty good, & it also had some rough spots (a scene that didn't really belong in there, a line that Kate Hudson says that made me cringe).

    The next weekend, I saw Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It was visually & narratively excellent. One of Tim Burton's finest films.

    Also that weekend, I saw The Birth of a Nation. One of the best films of the year so far.

    The next weekend, I saw The Accountant. It's the worst movie of the year so far. A plot so convoluted a map couldn't help, a screenplay so awful it makes The Room look like even more of a masterpiece, & it also gives the same stereotypical portrayal of people with autism & Asperger's Syndrome.

    And this weekend, I saw American Pastoral. The best & most underrated film of the year so far.

    Also, I saw Denial. One of the best & most important films of the year.

    And for movies I've seen outside of the theater…

    I watched 28 Days Later (BEST. HORROR. MOVIE. EVER.), 28 Weeks Later (awesome & scary as hell), You Can Count on Me (excellent), Moonlight Mile (amazing), & All the Real Girls (a masterpiece). I also re-watched Spotlight, which is now my 2nd favorite film of 2015 (behind The Big Short).

    This week, I plan on watching Kenneth Lonergan's other film, Margaret, along with Mike Mills' debut film Thumbsucker, & (possibly) Batman v. Superman (which I know I'll hate), & I will also re-watch David Cronenberg's Eastern Promises, & I will go to the movie theater to see Denial a second time.

    Now… I must give my 10 most anticipated films for the rest of 2016:
    10. Jackie
    9. 20th Century Women
    8. Fences
    7. Moonlight
    6. La La Land
    5. Live by Night
    4. Loving
    3. The Edge of Seventeen
    2. Silence
    1. Manchester by the Sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on top of it, man. Great list of anticipated. We're about the same. 20th Century Women is up a bit higher for me. Mike Mills is my dude. He gets me.

      Delete