29 November 2015

Blind Spot 2016: Announcing My Selections


Last year about this time, I ran across some of my fellow bloggers offering up their lofty lists of unseen great ones, which of course led me to Ryan McNeil at The Matinee and the genesis of the Blind Spot Series. Being new to the movie blog world, I jumped in all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, making a list myself. I made it through August, then the wheels fell off. Football season started. I started back to work (I'm a teacher.). And I just had to let go, knowing the commitment it takes to really dive into a well-regarded film and do it justice. 

I'm trying again. My Mama didn't raise no quitter. 


Below is what I've decided on for 2016. I went with titles that just popped up in movie conversations over the past year or so--a general list of movies I know I should've seen by now. A couple of these (Tokyo Story and 8 1/2) I've even tried before...to no avail. A couple (Imitation of Life and The Deer Hunter) I've put off due simply to the emotional toll I know they'll take. All will be seen and reactions will be published here every month. I am really going all the way in 2016. I am...

Encourage me! 

January

Dir. John G. Avildsen, 1976

February

Dir. George Roy Hill, 1973

March

Dir. Douglas Sirk, 1959

April

Tokyo Story
Dir. Yasujirō Ozu, 1953

May

Dir. Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen, 1952

June

1963

July

Dir. Michael Cimino, 1978

August

Dir. Sam Peckinpah, 1969

September

Dir. Stanley Kubrick, 1964

October

Last Year at Marienbad
Dir. Alain Resnais, 1961

November

1946

December

The Passion of Joan of Arc
Dir. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928

22 comments:

  1. I haven't seen Rocky either, I should probably get on that, with all the talk about Creed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks, Kevin! A couple of years ago I rewatched The Deer Hunter, and it was just as brilliant -- and devastating -- as I'd remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I need to see it, I suppose. I just know it's going to tear into me.

      Delete
  3. I've seen half of these. Looking forward to what you think of those, for sure. I'm especially curious for your thoughts on Dr. Strangelove. I'll reveal why when you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my curiosity. Really looking forward to finally watching that one.

      Delete
  4. Wow, with the exception of Notorious and The Sting, I have seen the rest of your picks and you're in for some great viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hope is never to see Rocky:) I know, bad of me but I just never wanted to see it but you have a couple of films here that are on my list to see next year which is Dr. Strangelove and Notorious. This past year I had the privilege of seeing Joan of Arc at a local Church (put on my our local University) accompanied by Chorus Niagara. To say seeing this film like this was profound is an understatement. Seeing this film has been one of my all time highlights in seeing a film especially represented like this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Joan of Arc screening sounds lovely. You have me really wanting to see that one. A whole year away, but I'm gonna do it.

      Delete
  6. Great list. Almost all of these deserve to be seen. Tokyo Story and 8 1/2 are absolute masterpieces and my favorites from this list, but I love Dr. Strangelove as well.
    Looking forward to reading your thoughts on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Can't wait to dig these classic foreign language titles. Super excited about Dr. Strangelove.

      Delete
  7. Nice! I also have Passion of Joan of Arc on my list. I also watched The Deer Hunter on my Blind Spot list in 2014 and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! It seems I'm right to pick The Deer Hunter. Can't wait.

      Delete
  8. Some great picks and some great viewing in your future this upcoming year. I haven’t seen Tokyo Story and Last Year at Marienbad yet but two of these are films I count among my favorites.

    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Imitation of Life and am anxious to read your thoughts. It makes trenchant observations all wrapped up in 50’s film techniques and incredibly lush surroundings. I’m almost equally a fan of Notorious, it’s one of my top five Hitchcock films, loaded with great performances.

    The only one I’m not very fond of is The Deer Hunter. I finally got around to watching it this year to finish up seeing all the Best Picture Oscar winners and it was the last on my list. Perhaps I might not have found it as oppressive had it not followed Schindler’s List and 12 Years a Slave in the same week but I think regardless I might have, it really wasn’t my kind of film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Now, I'm really looking forward to Imitation of Life. It's one of my Mom's favorites. She's been trying to get me to watch it for years.

      The Deer Hunter has always been on the back burner for me, simply for it seems "oppressive" as you say. Stacking anything depressing on top of Schindler's List and 12 Years a Slave couldn't be good. That's a trio of pain right there.

      Delete
  9. Great list! You've got some excellent classics on there. I've only seen Rocky & Singin' in the rain but I should probably get around to seeing a few of the others too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Really excited about Singin' in the Rain. Should've seen it by now for sure.

      Delete
  10. Great choices! A bunch of iconic movies you haven't gotten to yet. I've watched your 12 picks and look forward to what you make of them. Last Year at Marienbad is in my top 100 and I consider it one of the great mysteries of cinema, while also being a visual treat. Imitation of Life I was emotionally moved by and is my favorite Sirk film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man. Trying to knock out the big classics I, somehow, haven't gotten to. Last Year at Marienbad has been on my radar for nearly a decade. I am really excited about that one, having just seen and adored Resnais' Hiroshima Mon Amour. Imitation of Life is another I can't wait for. My mother has been begging me to watch it for years. Thanks for stopping by here, Chris. I look forward to checking out your site and hearing your thoughts around here.

      Delete
  11. I actually need to watch Rocky all the way through.

    ReplyDelete