12 July 2015

In Movie Lines: July 5th - 11th


I've decided to start a new weekly post, one that I can easily get to every week. If you're a regular here, then you've probably seen my weekly Saturday Speaks posts. Those are hard for me to to every week. I just don't often have a lot going on, and I want those to be more about me and my everyday life outside of my movie obsession.

So, I present to you my weekly movie recap. It's called In Movie Lines.


Re-Watched

The Social Network (2010)

Directed by David Fincher
Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin, based on the book "The Accidental Billionaires" by Ben Mezrich


"Ma'am, I know you've done your homework and so you know that money isn't a big part of my life, but at the moment I could buy Mt. Auburn Street, take the Phoenix, and turn it into my ping-pong room." - Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg)

Adventureland (2009)

Written and Directed by Greg Mottola


"We pay little Malaysian kids 10 cents a day to make these toys. We can't just give them away." - Joel (Martin Starr)

Moneyball (2011)

Directed by Bennett Miller
Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin and Steven Zaillian, based on the book by Michael Lewis


"You are outside your mind." - Art Howe (Philip Seymour Hoffman)

The Prestige (2006)

Directed by Christopher Nolan
Screenplay by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, based on the novel by Christopher Priest


"Never show anyone. They'll beg you and they'll flatter you, but as soon as you give it up...you'll be nothing to them." - Alfred Borden (Christian Bale)

First Timers

The Myth of the American Sleepover (2010)

Written and Directed by David Robert Mitchell


I came to this one by way of my screening of It Follows a couple months back. I just had to go back and see David Robert Mitchell's first film. The Myth of the American Sleepover is fantastic. Just a soft and simple, loving journey into adolescence that goes for tenderness over shock. It contains characters more in search of a sweet kiss on the lips than the sweaty back seat of a car. So refreshing to see. This is the best kind of teen movie: honest, real, and warm. 

Cold in July (2014)

Directed by Jim Mickle
Written by Nick Damici and Jim Mickle, based on the novel by Joe R. Lansdale


Now, this is a befuddling piece of work. It looks like the Coen Brothers, sounds like the pulpy trash of its source material, and makes no sense whatsoever. One critic wrote of the film, "If you want to recreate the experience of watching a movie on HBO at 12:50 a.m. in 1991, Jim Mickle's "Cold in July" is your movie." The funny thing is: this guy said that like it's a bad thing. This is a top-notch B-movie that I would watch any time. It is tonally perfect, the best kind of dark with light touches of humor and likewise perfect performances from Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard, and Don Johnson. 

The Numbers

I have seen 122 movies so far this year. 

Re-watched - 39

First Timers - 83

6 comments:

  1. Some very nice titles, there. I need to see The Myth of the American Sleepover. That sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. Our roundtable conversations make me want to get back in touch with some of the losers that I loved so much more than the winners.

      And everybody should see The Myth of the American Sleepover. It is a great piece of low-budget filmmaking. I think this would be a beautiful film to show your teenager, man. This is the type of movie I wish more teens would watch.

      Delete
  2. I have so much love for Adventureland :)
    Also, I'm so glad to read your thoughts on Cold in July. I was really excited to watch that one, and I just didn't get it at all!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventureland is the best. I forgot how good it was. It had been years since I'd seen it.

      Cold in July, if you don't take it seriously, is a great movie. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense and twists around in inexplicable ways. But I had fun with it.

      Delete
  3. I've wanted to see Myth of the American Sleepover ever since it came out. Glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete