19 April 2015

The Five Senses Blogathan


I ran across this blogathon, hosted by Nostra at My Film Views, a while back and had planned on participating. I sort of forgot about it, then it started popping back up as of late on several blogs I follow. So, refreshed memory and all, I decided to jump in. 


What a cool idea! How can you relate your movie experience to the five senses? Here's the rundown:

The idea

As you know the body has five senses (although some movies might suggest there is a sixth one): Sight, Sound, Taste, Smell and Touch.

So what’s the idea behind this blogathon? For each of these senses you will have to describe the movie related association you have with it. This can be a particular movie or even a scene, but also something having to do with the movie going experience (so for example the smell of popcorn in the theater).

What do you have to do?

– Write your entry to The Five Senses blogathon, where you describe the association you have for each of the senses
– Include the above blogathon logo in your post
– Add a link to this blogathon announcement so others can participate as well
– Leave a link to your entry in the comments so people can easily find your entry

So, without further ado, here are my movie connections to the five senses: 

Sight











Wes Anderson's yellows, sometimes more pronounced than other times, but always there. His movies catch the eye on a number of levels, but the colors are the kicker for me. I also love the little splashes of pink and/or light blue in all of these shots. You can almost see his evolution as a filmmaker here. With Bottle Rocket (1996), it's as if he wasn't quite there yet. Then, look at the similarities between the shot from Rushmore (1998) and the shot from The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004), the vehicle in yellow, the blues in the foreground. The character off-center in the shots from The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) and Moonrise Kingdom (2012). The character dead-center in Hotel Chevalier (short, 2007) and The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014). Wes Anderson fascinates because there is just so much in every frame. 

Sound



Pretty much any time a good tune perfectly matches the moving image, I am hooked. I have hailed movies as masterpieces simply for the use of that one right song with that one right shot or sequence. The clip above from Sofia Coppola's The Virgin Suicides (1999) is a perfect example. 

Taste


My home city is home to Regal Cinemas. They have the market pretty much cornered here and in a good deal of the country as well. Nothing beats a hot, buttery bag of popcorn and an ice cold fountain Coke. And I mean the real deal. None of that diet shit. 

Smell


From my review of The Giver (2014), which was the last movie I saw in the palace pictured above, The Ritz Theater on Main Street in Clinton, Tennessee: 

When you walk into the historic Ritz Theater in downtown Clinton, Tennessee, you become washed over with a cool blast of nostalgia. It has a smell to it, a look long forgotten.

The smell is of an old, city building, delightfully musty (a great thing), mixed with a fresh batch of popcorn. The look is like so many other Main Street, USA, one-screen movie houses, save one important detail:  this one is not only still standing but operating.

Touch







I realized when I knew I would go with The Ritz Theater as my smell connection that I had seen director Philip Noyce's adaptation of Lois Lowry's The Giver there a few months back. It is a story that relies so heavily on the sense of touch. Touch is everything in this movie. And the evolution of touch as the movie plays is quite powerful. Take another look at the sequence of shots above. 

12 comments:

  1. An interesting selection. It never occurred to me how much yellow Wes Anderson actually uses in his films. I guess popcorn is an obvious one, but it makes sense for a movie association, especially if you've been to a place like the Ritz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. The movie choices are a bit all over the place, but I really had fun with this. I didn't want to go popcorn for taste, but, in the end, there really is nothing like movie theater popcorn. It can't be duplicated.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for joining! I love you picked Wes Anderson for sight...and interesting to read about his use of color. It does always stand out (in a good way that is). Still not have seen The Virgin Suicides, which has been on my to watch list for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great idea! Thanks for having me! Anderson's color palette is so fascinating to me. It's just one of the many great things about his visual style. The Virgin Suicides is a great movie. One of the first smaller American films I saw as a teenager that really changed things for me.

      Delete
  3. Great post! I love the way you broke down Anderson's use of color.

    I have been afraid to watch The Giver because my kids and I like the novel so much. I love what you've done with it here, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There is so much to think and talk about with Anderson. His colors are always so vibrant.

      When you watch the film adaptation of The Giver, go in knowing it strays from the book quite a bit. But, it does hit the thematic notes perfectly. The memory sequences are beautifully done. I, too, am a lover of Lois Lowry's novel. I've read it over a dozen times as I teach it to my 7th graders every year. It really is worth a watch.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love your picks. Especially Sight, that's so cool. The yellow thing really stuck out to me in Darjeeling, but I didn't notice it in the other films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I sort of knew I would talk Anderson for Sight, but I didn't really have yellow in mind until I saw so many of the same shot compositions and colors when I was surfing around looking at screen shots. So much yellow vibrance in his movies.

      Delete
  5. I'm always so jealous of anyone who gets to see a film at a cool, nostalgic, legendary place.

    I hate you.

    But I don't, and you know that, and I love your picks. UGH...I need to just do this already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do consider myself lucky to have a place like that in my hometown. The only thing bad about it is that they cater to families with young kids these days and never get anything R-rated or geared for adults. But I try to go a couple times a year. It really is a magical place.

      I know you love me, man. Lol. Do this one. I'd love to see your picks.

      Delete
  6. Excellent picks. The breakdown of Anderson was great. Really appreciated that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Anderson is my favorite filmmaker to try to figure out. So much beauty in his set design and shot compositions.

      Delete