22 January 2015

Thursday Movie Picks: Movies with Color in the Title


All I could think about was the word blue when this category came up. That's all you're getting. Nothing old, everything new, all blue. 

So glad to be a part of Wandering Through the Shelves' Thursday Movie Picks once again. 

Here are this week's picks: 

Blue is the Warmest Color (Abdellatif Kechiche, 2013)


What a beautiful breath of life this film is! I could've done a full day with these characters. Three hours was barely enough. It follows the relationship between two of the most nuanced and real characters I've seen in any movie--two young French women, who fall in love, and what happens after. For my essay on the film, click here

Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen, 2013)



There are moments in Woody Allen's 43rd feature Blue Jasmine that remind you of some of his greatest works like Crimes and Misdemeanors or Match Point. There are also some moments that don't work as well. Some skips in the plot that just don't allow the whole movie to come together. Blanchett plays Jasmine, a recently-divorced New York wife and socialite, who is forced to move in with her half-sister, Ginger (the great Sally Hawkins), in San Francisco. She chases her Xanax with Stoli Martinis. She talks to herself. She is detached from reality. She is broken.

Blue Ruin (Jeremy Saulnier, 2014)



Jeremy Saulnier's small, low-budget revenge thriller, Blue Ruin, is one of the best of its kind. In story, it draws comparisons to classic revenge flicks, sort of. It also has a great Southern Gothic sort of feel. But it's all original. A vagrant named Dwight (Macon Blair) rushes out of a house he's been squatting in, gets picked up by a police officer, who seems to know him and gives him the news that this guy is getting out of jail. Dwight's sad eyes light up but remain sad. He begins a mission, stumbles around trying to get a gun or some kind of weapon, there is almost no dialogue for the first third of the movie. Then the blood starts to pour. This is one of my favorite movies ever.

And here's a song



"Blue" (Written by Ish Ledesma/Made Famous by The Jayhawks)

Where have all my friends gone
They've all disappeared
Turned around maybe one day
You're all that was there

Stood by on believing
Stood by on my own
Always thought I was someone
Turned out I was wrong

An' you brought me through
And you made me feel

So blue
Why don't you stay behind
So blue
Why don't you stop and look at what's going down

Lived by an old woman
She'd never sell me a lie
It's hard to sing with someone
Who won't sing with you

Give all of my mercy
Give all of my heart
Never thought that I'd miss you
That I'd miss you so much

You brought me through
And you made me feel

So blueWhy don't you stay behind

So blue
Why don't you stop and look at what's going down

All my life I've waited for
Someone I could show the door
But nothing seems to change
You've come back into my arms

So blue
Why don't you stay behind

So blue
Why don't you, why don't you stay behind

So blue
Why don't you, why don't you stay behind

So blue
Why don't you stop and look at what's going down


9 comments:

  1. GOD!@#$IT, I still need to see Blue Ruin!

    Also, AMEN to everything you say about Blue is the Warmest Colour...PERFECTION!

    And I'm so glad the song you included was NOT 'I'm Blue' :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally watched Blue Ruin last week on Netflix. It will be in my Top Ten of the Year. Get on it.

      Delete
  2. Blue Ruin sounds so good but I have a friend whose tastes almost always mirrors mine totally rip it apart. Decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly see how some would definitely NOT like Blue Ruin. My wife would hate it, and I knew that, which is why I caught it alone. But if you like an intense revenge thriller, then I don't think it gets much better.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Fisti on Blue Ruin. I needs must see it!

    I was... not as enamored of Blue Is The Warmest Color as seemingly everyone else in the cinephile world, and I'm not sure why. I thought it meandered a bit, and found the sex scenes uncomfortable (but, then, I like the menfolk, so...), and just didn't grab onto it for some reason. The break-up scene, though... OMG. SO close to home. But one scene doesn't make a movie. I would say I have to watch it again, but I'm loathe to spend another three hours on it when I could fill that time with two movies that I haven't seen yet!

    Oh, and Cate Blanchett OWNS in Blue Jasmine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think the really long sex scene is the worst part of the movie. I'm as straight as they come, yet I found those scenes uncomfortable as well. I applaud the audacity though, and I was just so in love with the Adele character that I couldn't not love it. I was just astounded by how much I loved this movie...unexpectedly. And Cate Blanchett had that Oscar before she even shot that movie. That's a winner on the page. Some of Woody's best writing.

      Delete
  4. Blue Jasmine owes a heavy dose to Streetcar Named Desire but it's an enjoyable film put over the top by Cate's brilliant work. Sally Hawkins also comes across strongly but then Woody has a way of drawing out fine work from his players. For instance Andrew Dice Clay was good in the film and I didn't think that possible.

    I have Blue is the Warmest Color on my queue but haven't quite gotten to it yet, it seems beloved though so I'm hopeful. Blue Ruin is unknown to me but it sounds worth seeking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, Andrew Dice Clay. Who knew?!?

      Delete
    2. I immediately appreciated the casting moves by Woody and Co. on that one. Andrew Dice Clay is just great in that movie. It is total Streetcar Named Desire. That story seems to win women Oscars. Blue is the Warmest is beautiful. Blue Ruin you can catch on Netflix streaming if you have that.

      Delete